Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
Special relationships such as Grandparents raising Grandchildren and other Relatives raising Children can be difficult. You are taking responsibility for the child because the parents are unable or unwilling to do so.
You are a family caregiver and you are not alone!
The Family Caregiver Support Program provides valuable resources for relatives age 55+ who are raising children 18 and under or with severe disabilities.
This program includes:
- Caregiver Resource Centers to give information about available services. The Centers assess your situation and help connect you to programs to assist you.
- Alternatives to get a break from caring for the children called Respite Services - includes options at home or in another location.
- Options to obtain support in unforeseen circumstances called Gap-Filling Services - covers a variety of items to assist you.
- Legal services to help you assume care of the children.
- Caregiver Counseling Centers to coach/counsel you through troubling times, such as how to understand raising a special needs child.
- Training and education to assist you to take care of yourself or to learn "how-to" caregiving skills to aid your grandchild.
- Support groups to share experiences and to understand that you are not alone.